Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Boy or Girl? (by Mary)

If you know me, you know I'm not very patient, so therefore, am not a huge fan of surprises. I did not feel strongly about finding out the sex of our baby, though, but Rob felt strongly that it should be a surprise. I have agreed, and since he doesn't think I can keep a secret, the sex of our baby will be a surprise to both of us. (I think he just didn't want me to torment him with my exclusive knowledge!)

When we tell most people that we are not going to find out the sex, the response is usually, "Good for you- that is the best way to do it!" While I totally understand the reasoning for finding out the sex, I have calmed my impatience by reminding me of these facts:
-I have heard of a few stories lately when the parents were told it is a girl, and it ends up being a boy!
-The neutral baby gear will be able to be used for future children

I also wanted to share that when I first found out I was pregnant, my instinct was that I was carrying a boy, but now I have a hunch it's a girl. The old wives' tales are providing us with conflicting answers as well. I'm told the nausea is a sign of a girl, but the Chinese birth chart says a boy. I seem to be carrying low, which would mean a boy, but the higher heart rate in one of the wives' tales indicates a girl.

I also have been slightly convinced that I'm having twins. Twins don't run in either of our families, but I believe I was twice as sick as the average pregnant woman (if you were present during a vomit session, you would agree). I also have a friend who dreamt I was having twins, even before she knew I was pregnant! How creepy is that? Even though only one heartbeat has been found at our last two prenatal appointments, only the ultrasound can give us a solid answer. Plus, the nurse's assistant at the last appointment just globbed gel all over and did not have any true searching mechanism ;) Our ultrasound is scheduled for our next appointment on August 24th (easy to remember, because it is my brother's birthday). I look foward to sharing pictures at that time!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm guessing boy.......only because all our friends have had a run of girls. There's bound to be a boy sometime!

Jill said...

Good point about the neutral baby gear for child 2, 3, 4, etc.! :)