Monday, July 20, 2009

The Baby's Heartbeat

We had our third doctor's appointment today (at 16 weeks) and the first thing we did was listen to the heartbeat. It took about a minute for the nurse's assistant to find it. I was a little scared something might be wrong! I think this means we're not having twins (as Mary's convinced we are); I think it would have been easier to find a heartbeat if there were two of them in there...The heartbeat was a health 150 beats per minute, and I think I may want to purchase one of the at-home baby heart monitors, because it such a joy to listen to.

We didn't meet with our nurse midwife; we met with her partner. They rotate weekends and the midwife we met with could end up being the woman who delivers our baby. She was nice and we felt comfortable with her.

She delivered good news - Mary's nausea should be gone soon (some women have "morning sickness" all pregnancy and it never lets up. Those that find relief as the 2nd tri starts will find relief.) Plus we got the good news that I can cut the umbilical cord if I want (which I do)!

No comments: