Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rob's Baby Abby

I've been doing an experiment for work: I've been carrying around a high-tech doll for three days; a Baby Think-It-Over. Her name is Abby and she cries, coos, gets hungry, and poops (imaginary poops).

The experience has been interesting. It's hard to get much done because as soon as I start a project, the baby needs to be fed. As soon as I get in the car, it needs to be fed. As soon as I walk into a restaurant, it needs to be fed. And I feel like a dork changing a diaper in Menards. It's a little embarrassing (because it's a loud plastic doll) and the amount of work is a bit of a wake-up-call.

But the Baby Think-It-Over is like a Wii. At first you wave the controller around like crazy; then you learn it's all in the wrist. At first, with Abby, I was carrying her around like a real baby, feeding her with one arm while I attempting to get things done. Now I've learned how to lay the doll on a table with the bottle propped on her chest - and I leave the room to do whatever I want.

I promise when we have a REAL baby, I will give it 5000% more attention.

No comments: