Monday, March 3, 2008

The Weekend Curse (by Mary)

Just like New Year's Eve and season six of 24, weekends are overrated. This is something I learned when I started working a "business hours" job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited for 5:00 on Fridays as everyone else. I love that on weekends that I get to sleep in, eat out for breakfast, stay out past 10:00 with friends, and shop for supplies for our most recent home project. But that is exactly what is wrong with weekends. I want to get everything done, and they're just aren't enough hours.

Us "business hour" workers spend Friday nights recovering from the week. Saturday morning is spent lounging around, or maybe a long run/workout. Once Rob and I usually get out of the house on Saturday, it is usually 2:00. We're lucky if the bank and/or post office are still open for errands, but we can still stop at Lowe's and maybe go out for dinner. Sunday morning is for church and brunch, and Sunday afternoon is available for laundry and getting ready for the coming up work week.

Think of it this way- if we didn't have weekends, then Mondays wouldn't have a stigma! Or, if we had a three-day weekend, then we could have a "case of the Tuesdays."

I can think of only one person who I would rather have as a boss than Jan- myself. I do believe that if I worked for myself, this would be a non-issue. I can dream, can't I?

No comments: